Jul 26, 2010

Blackberry's DNA


I’ll start with a confession - I never used  a BlackBerry in the past,but now my company has been focused on developing some Blackberry products. I’ve picked 5 things that I really really miss about d probably they’ll be the reasons that I go back to BlackBerry for day-to-day use soon). I think most of these are known to most people, but I’ve omitted a few things that are commonly thought of as BlackBerry’s advantages - I’ll explain why at the end of the article.

1. Push Email

Yes, iPhone does push email too, but BlackBerry does it better. You can sync an Exchange account with your iPhone and get push email, but only one. I’ve always got a minimum of 2 accounts I want to keep up to date with - currently 5 - but even with 2, I’d have to choose a preferred one (or consolidate everything through one account, which isn’t an option).

2. Multiple Email Accounts

Handled beautifully by BlackBerry. I can view the inbox for each account separately, but never do. BlackBerry lets me view all emails from all accounts in one place, and keeps track so that when I reply it comes from the right account.
There’s more! I can have separate signatures for each account (really really irritating missing feature on iPhone), and when I compose a new email to a contact, the BlackBerry usually guesses correctly which account I want to send it from - probably based on some analysis of past correspondence.
Email is part of BlackBerry’s DNA - it’s initial killer app was email, and the business and devices were built around that, and it shows.

3. The Keyboard

keyboards
nothing to say ..
4. The notification light
Yes, this thing:
bbled
Amazingly simple, but I really miss it. I’m used to glancing down at my device to see if anything new had come in - or looking at it lying on a table. iPhone doesn’t have an LED indicator for new email, so I can’t do that. Again, email is part of the core DNA of BlackBerry, all the way down through the hardware, and this shows it.

5. Total integration - email, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks

This is probably a bunch of things, but I’ll put them all together here. BlackBerry just delivers a better experience when going between all the above applications. It syncs them more readily, makes it easier to link calendar entries to notes to tasks to contacts, etc. It’s difficult to quantify but the overall experience is just smoother - obviously this is based on years of development and user feedback from RIM. It’s core to the BlackBerry experience and they still do it better than iPhone (even with it’s super slick UI)

Conclusion

u should write your self  ..

No comments:

Post a Comment